Several Lowcountry restaurants, food trucks and bars are participating in Dining Out For Life to help raise awareness and money for the fight against HIV/AIDS in our area. Proceeds from the event will directly benefit Roper St. Francis Healthcare’s Ryan White Wellness Center.
The ninth-annual Dining Out For Life is one of the Ryan White Wellness Center’s key fundraising opportunities, raising more than $35,000 last year.
“We’re proud to lead an event that recognizes the importance of change in an ever-evolving scene of HIV care and prevention,” said Kim Butler, Director at the Ryan White Wellness Center. “We remind our patients and the community that there is life after an HIV diagnosis. Donations from Dining Out For Life increase opportunities for innovation, prevention and a true sense of rejuvenation in our community.”
Many restaurants are offering exclusive menu options and drink specials to raise awareness. For a full list of participating restaurants in Charleston, visit https://www.diningoutforlife.com/city/charleston/.
A full week of Dining Out For Life Events:
- Saturday, April 20 – Tanger Outlets – 11 a.m to 3 p.m. Health screenings, mall giveaways and photo op with Charlie the RiverDog
- Wednesday, April 24 – El Jefe hosts Dining Out For Life for its Wig Out Wednesday. Drink specials and all money raised goes towards Ryan White Wellness Center. Guests who mention “Ryan White” in April will receive a free taco with their order.
- Thursday, April 25 – National Dining Out For Life. Special food truck gathering on the The Greenway behind Roper Hospital Medical Office Building during lunchtime. Charlie the RiverDog and sponsor Crews Subaru of Charleston will have cars on display
- Thursday, April 25 – 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. - Taco Boy in downtown Charleston hosts the official Dining Out For Life community celebration with entertainment from DJ Trevor D, Takeover Charleston and performances by Carmella Monet Monroe, Jaisee Alexander, Victoria Vixen and Symone N. O'Bishop.
- Thursday, April 25 – 11 p.m. Patti O’Furniture Drag show at Dudley’s on Ann.
- Saturday, April 27 – Roper St. Francis Healthcare night at Charleston RiverDogs game. Percentage of ticket sales go to Ryan White Wellness Center. To purchase, visit riverdogs.com/groups and enter password DINEOUT.
“When my partner David and I started Sugar Bakeshop in 2007, we made a commitment to support our community,” said co-owner Bill Bowick. “The Ryan White Wellness Center makes certain that people living with HIV get the help they need. We’re proud to have created a custom cupcake design and are proud to be donating April proceeds to the cause.”
About the Ryan White Wellness Center:
The Ryan White Wellness Center is operated by Roper St. Francis Healthcare. The center is a sexual health non-profit organization focusing on wellness, education and advocacy. It is the only one-stop-shop in the area for clinical and supportive services for those who are HIV positive and/or at-risk. All services are free to those who qualify. The organization’s vision is to foster an HIV-free generation through quality care, case management, prevention, outreach and advocacy.
About Dining Out For Life:
Dining Out for Life® benefits the Ryan White Wellness Center at Roper St. Francis Healthcare. Nationally, more than 3,000 restaurants across the United States and Canada will donate a portion of their proceeds raised during Dining Out For Life to the licensed AIDS service agency in their city. In 2018, more than 300,000 diners helped raise $4.2 million to support more than 50 HIV/AIDS service organizations across the country.