Cayce, S.C. (Sept. 11, 2017) – SCE&G is working to restore power outages resulting from the impact of Tropical Storm Irma, which made landfall along the South Carolina coast early this morning. Approximately 146,000 SCE&G customers had lost power as of this afternoon, with the largest concentrations of outages in the Beaufort and Charleston areas.
“We’re working to assess storm damages and, at the same time, our operating personnel have begun the process of restoring power,” said Bill Turner, vice president of electric operations for SCE&G. “The safety of our crews and customers is always our top priority, and that’s especially important today while most of our service territory is still experiencing high winds and heavy rain. We appreciate the patience of our customers and ask them make safety their top priority as well.”
“We’re working to assess storm damages and, as weather allows them to work safely, crews are beginning the process of restoring power,” said Bill Turner, vice president of electric operations for SCE&G. “The safety of our crews and customers is always our top priority, and that’s especially important today while most of our service territory is still experiencing high winds and heavy rain. We appreciate the patience of our customers and ask them make safety their top priority as well.”
SCE&G customers with power outages can help start the restoration process by reporting their outages; this will help crews work efficiently and will allow SCE&G to provide customers with estimated times of restoration when those become available.
Outage Tips for Customers
- Report your outage:
- By text: Register for SCE&G’s text option online at www.sceg.com. Simply log in to your account and look for the "Activate Text Options” under the "Account Options” feature and then follow the instructions. Once you are registered, if you are experiencing an outage, simply text the word "OUT” to 467234 (gosceg).
- By mobile device: Report and check the status of your power outage online from your internet-ready mobile device or phone by visiting sceg.com/mobile and clicking on “Outages & Emergencies.”
- By phone: 1-888-333-4465.
- Stay informed – Keeping customers safe and up-to-date with timely information is a top priority. Follow SCE&G on Twitter at @scegnews or on Facebook at facebook.com/scegnews for the latest storm-related information and safety tips.
- Learn more about how SCE&G restores power outages at https://www.sceg.com/outages-emergencies/power-outages/restoration-process
- View current outages at sceg.com/outages-emergencies/power-outages.
Safety Tips for Customers
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them to SCE&G by calling 888-333-4465.
- Water conducts electricity; stay away from flooded areas that could contain electric lines.
- When cleaning up debris, please keep piles away from utility poles and transformers.
- Look out for utility trucks on the road and make way when possible.
- When you see crews in your neighborhood, please let them continue working. If you have questions for SCE&G, please contact customer service: https://www.sceg.com/contact.
South Carolina Electric & Gas Company is a regulated public utility engaged in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity to approximately 718,000 customers in 24 counties in the central, southern and southwestern portions of South Carolina. The company also provides natural gas service to approximately 362,000 customers in 35 counties in the state.