Visitors to the county parks can choose from a wide range of activities that are available for five dollars per person or less (park admission fees sometimes apply). Many activities are also offered free with park admission.
Low-cost Frugal Fun activities at Charleston County Parks include:
- Spectating ($1) or skating ($3) at SK8 Charleston skate park
- Renting bicycles at James Island County Park (JICP), Wannamaker County Park (WCP) or Palmetto Islands County Park (PICP) ($4 per hour, plus refundable deposit)*
- Renting a two-person pedal boat at JICP, WCP or PICP, or a kayak at JICP ($4 per half hour, plus refundable deposit)*
- Fishing at the Mount Pleasant or Folly Beach Pier ($3 for kids and seniors, $4 for active military, $5 for adults; equipment not included)
- Enjoying the kid-friendly Summer Entertainment Series, select dates in June through August, at James Island and Wannamaker County Parks ($5 per child or $4 in advance; chaperone free)
- Trying the archery range at Johns Island County Park ($1 admission per person; equipment not included)
- Exploring the equestrian and walking trails at Johns Island County Park ($1 per person or $5 with horse)
- Riding the mountain bike trails at the Wannamaker North Trail ($1 per person)
*Plus $2 park admission fee
Frugal Fun activities FREE with $2 per person park admission fee:
- Playing disc golf at JICP or WCP (equipment rental available for $5 fee)
- Taking Fido to enjoy running off leash at the dog parks at JICP, WCP or PICP
- Watching Outdoor Movies at Wannamaker County Park, on Aug. 11
- Enjoying Yappy Hour and live music with your dog at James Island County Park, on Sept. 13 or Oct. 11
- Cooling down at James Island County Park’s Spray Play and Wannamaker County Park’s Sprinkler
- Enjoying the playgrounds at JICP, WCP or PICP
For details on these activities, visit CharlestonCountyParks.com/FrugalFun or call 843-795-4386.
Charleston County Parks is celebrating 50 years in 2018! The mission of CCPRC is to improve the quality of life in Charleston County by offering a diverse system of park facilities, programs and services. The large park system features over 11,000 acres of property and includes four land parks, three beach parks, three dog parks, a skate park, two landmark fishing piers, three waterparks, 19 boat landings, a climbing wall, a challenge course, an interpretive center, an equestrian center, cottages, a campground, a marina, a historic plantation site, as well as wedding, meeting and event facilities. The park system also offers a wide variety of recreational services – festivals, camps, classes, volunteer opportunities, programs, and more. For more information on CCPRC, call 843-795-4386, visit www.charlestoncountyparks.com, or download CCPRC’s mobile app.
SCBIZtv is part of the SC Biz News family, serving 100,000 high-level business execs throughout South Carolina. Click for more from SCBIZtv.