The American Heart Association is proud to announce that Jim Newsome of the South Carolina Ports Authority will chair the 2020 Lowcountry Heart Walk. The walk is to be held on February 29, 2020 at Brittlebank Park in downtown Charleston.
The Lowcountry Heart Walk raises awareness that walking 30 minutes a day greatly reduces your risk of heart disease and stroke, which are America’s No. 1 and No. 5 killers. Lowcountry Heart Walk Chair Jim Newsome served as the 2013 Chair and is passionate about the AHA’s mission to be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives.
“More than one in three adults in South Carolina have some form of cardiovascular disease. That’s enough people to fill Williams-Brice or Memorial Stadium 10 times. I’m proud to serve as Chair for the Lowcountry Heart Walk as we urge the entire community to join the AHA’s efforts to build a healthier community,” says Newsome.
Mr. Newsome became President & CEO of the South Carolina Ports Authority (SCPA) on September 1, 2009 and is only the fifth leader in the history of the organization. He was previously President of Hapag-Lloyd (America), Inc., which is part of the world’s fifth-largest ocean shipping company.
He has received many prestigious awards and honors including:
• University of Tennessee Alumni Professional Achievement Award, 2018
• Agriculture Transportation Coalition, Person of the Year, 2016
• South Carolina Public Servant of the Year, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, 2014
• Doctor of Humane Letters, The College of Charleston, 2014
• Connie Award, The Containerization and Intermodal Institute, 2010
He is currently involved in numerous organizations:
• University of Tennessee, College of Business Administration, Dean’s Advisory Council
• University of Tennessee, Global Supply Chain Institute, Executive Advisory Board
• University of Tennessee, College of Business Administration, 1914 Society
• The College of Charleston, School of Business, Board of Governors
• Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), Children’s Hospital Fund Advisory Board
• US Department of Commerce Advisory Committee on Supply Chain Competitiveness
• Intermodal Association of North America, Board of Directors, Marine Division
• Coalition for Responsible Transportation (CRT), Board of Directors
• American Heart Association, Mid-Atlantic Board
• American Heart Association, Lowcountry Heart Walk, Executive Leadership Team, 2013 and 2020 Chairman
• Trident United Way, Tocqueville Society
To register as a team or individual for the Lowcountry Heart Walk, go to www.LowcountrySCHeartWalk.org.